Academic book request
Inspection copies are available to lecturers considering books for courses. If you teach a relevant course of 12 or more students, please complete the form below with the details. We also kindly request that you provide feedback on any textbook you receive within 60 days of receipt.
Please note that outside of the UK, we can only provide eBooks. All requests are subject to our approval, further details regarding T&Cs may be found on our website.
Practice-based education and placements are vital components of UK paramedic science programmes as they allow students to apply their university education, knowledge and theory to real life aspects of practice in the ambulance service. This book highlights the importance of the practice educator (PEd) role in supporting and assessing the learner during their practice-based education.
Designed to serve as both an introductory resource as well as a text which can support your existing knowledge, Practice Education in Paramedic Science is a clear and easy-to-use guide for registered paramedics hoping to become practice educators as well as those already taking on board the practice educator role. The book offers a sound understanding of the practice educator role within the paramedic profession, highlighting important aspects such as student–practice educator interaction, learner assessment and reflection. Both authors are experienced practice educators themselves and offer a breadth of knowledge on the unique challenges and benefits of practice education whilst combining their expertise with established theories on coaching, leadership and mentoring. This book will be of interest to all healthcare professionals responsible for educating learners within practice as well as anyone undertaking practice-based education themselves.
Key features of the book include:
- Multiple case scenarios
- Reflective points and questions
- Recognised theories and their application to practice education
- First-hand perspectives from learners and practice educators
- Where to find support for practice educators
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- About the Authors
- List of Abbreviations
- Part 1 Background and Basics
- 1. What is a Practice Educator?
- 2. Reflection
- 3. The Role of the Practice Educator
- 4. Getting the Practice Educator/Learner Relationship Right
- Part 2 Theories and Application
- 5. Learning Theory and Learning Environments
- 6. Mentoring Theories and Application to the PEd
- 7. Coaching and Leadership Theories
- 8. Assessment of Learners
- 9. Support for Learners, PEds and Action Planning
- Part 3 Perspectives
- 10. The Learner and PEd Perspectives
- 11. Reflections and Case Studies
…For those moving into PEd, this book is a must—it will save you many hours of frustration when trying to guide learners through their journey…
Vincent Romano, Consultant Paramedic – Education, North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust.
Become a Class VIP!
Sign up to hear about new products, promotions and more! Plus, enjoy a 25% discount and free P&P each month!