Academic book request
Inspection copies are available to lecturers considering books for courses. If you teach a relevant course of 12 or more students, please complete the form below with the details. We also kindly request that you provide feedback on any textbook you receive within 60 days of receipt.
Please note that outside of the UK, we can only provide eBooks. All requests are subject to our approval, further details regarding T&Cs may be found on our website.
Brought up-to-date with the latest guidance, research and policy, this second edition of Ambulance Care Practice is an essential guide for paramedic students, trainee associate ambulance practitioners, those studying towards a certificate in first response emergency care and other ambulance clinicians. It provides a complete overview of the key skills, knowledge and understanding required to work at ambulance associate practitioner level or similar within the ambulance service, covering theoretical aspects and practical application, as well as a range of different clinical procedures and patient populations.
Key features include:
- Clearly illustrated, step-by-step instructions for a range of essential clinical skills and procedures including how to handle different types of trauma and cardiac arrest
- Detailed anatomical diagrams to provide the reader with the necessary context to carry out the practical elements of their job
- Evidence-based throughout and up-to-date with the latest guidance, policy and research
- Specific chapters on each area of patient assessment and various patient populations and how to manage these effectively
- Chapters relevant to associate practitioner level including drug administration, mental health and end of life care as well as an in-depth chapter on assisting the paramedic.
- In line with the National Education Network for Ambulance Services standards
The book covers learning objectives from a range of courses offered by ambulance service. It is an essential resource for anyone wanting to prepare themselves for a role within the ambulance service as well as those hoping to become a more effective member of an emergency ambulance crew.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- List of Abbreviations
- 1. Introduction
- 2. The Ambulance Service
- 3. Communication
- 4. Legal, Ethical and Professional Issues
- 5. Safeguarding
- 6. Health and Safety
- 7. Manual Handling
- 8. Drug Administration
- 9. Scene Assessment
- 10. Patient Assessment
- 11. Airway
- 12. Breathing
- 13. Circulation
- 14. Disability
- 15. Exposure
- 16. Medical and Surgical Emergencies
- 17. Trauma
- 18. Assisting the Paramedic
- 19. Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- 20. Children and Infants
- 21. Mental Health
- 22. Learning Disabilities
- 23. Older People
- 24. Cardiac Arrest
- 25. End of Life Care
This book has influenced the curriculum for our first year student Paramedics for good reason. This book provides a solid foundation of reference material for those starting out in a pre-hospital career whether that be through apprenticeship or employment with an ambulance service or through a direct entry undergraduate programme in Paramedic Science. The concepts are very clearly explained, in a logical and easy to follow progression through a comprehensive list of topics. The diagrams are numerous and well integrated into the text allowing for easy contextualisation for novice readers. I would recommend it to my students without hesitation.
Fen Sanders-Lamb, Paramedic Science Lecturer, Swansea University
Become a Class VIP!
Sign up to hear about new products, promotions and more! Plus, enjoy a 25% discount and free P&P each month!