Academic book request
Inspection copies are available to lecturers considering books for courses. If you teach a relevant course of 12 or more students, please complete the form below with the details. We also kindly request that you provide feedback on any textbook you receive within 60 days of receipt.
Please note that outside of the UK, we can only provide eBooks. All requests are subject to our approval, further details regarding T&Cs may be found on our website.
Palliative and End of Life Care for ParamedicsAuthor: Tania Blackmore
So much emphasis in paramedic practice is placed on saving lives, and so how can you provide the best care for patients who are approaching the end of theirs? Knowing when it is appropriate to transfer palliative and end-of-life patients to hospital can be challenging as there are often many complex factors at stake which can have an impact on both patients and their families.
Digging deep into the ethical and clinical aspects of working with palliative patients as a paramedic, this book is the go-to resource to enable you to act within the patient’s best interests and provide the most appropriate and effective care.
Key features include:
- Twenty-four case studies covering a range of relevant topics to help apply principles to your own practice
- Clinical information on symptom control and pain management
- Written specifically for paramedics, by a range of specialist authors
- Designated chapters on the role of the paramedic in palliative care, palliative care emergencies and personal resilience
- Full-colour diagrams throughout.
Since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, we are all more aware of the importance of patient-centred palliative care; this book is full of tips and techniques to help you feel more confident in ensuring patients not only die ‘well’ but also live with dignity and comfort.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Abbreviations and Acronyms
- About the Author
- Foreword by Tracy Nicholls
- Foreword by Karen Cleaver
- 1. Death and Dying in Society
- 2. Defining Palliative Care
- 3. Palliative Care Emergencies
- 4. Symptom Management
- 5. Enhanced Communication Skills in Palliative and End of Life Care
- 6. Care of the Dying Patient
- 7. Ethics
- 8. Professional Resilience
- 9. The Paramedic as an End of Life Specialist
“A thorough overview of an emotive topic. An interesting and well-written text that will provide a good basis for any undergraduate student”.
Amanda Blaber, Lecturer, University of Brighton
“This book addresses a hugely important aspect of modern paramedic practice that has often been overlooked. The emphasis on a good death and respect of the patient’s wishes is a strong theme throughout the material and difficult topics are discussed in great detail”.
Scott Goudie, Lecturer, University of Greenwich
“An extremely worthwhile textbook on an extremely challenging area of paramedic practice”.
Marc Thomas, Lecturer, University of Greenwich
Become a Class VIP!
Sign up to hear about new products, promotions and more! Plus, enjoy a 25% discount and free P&P each month!