Academic book request
Breastfeeding and Human LactationAuthors: Becky Spencer, Karen Wambach
Breastfeeding and Human Lactation, Sixth Edition is the ultimate reference for the latest clinical techniques and research findings that direct evidence-based clinical practice and research for lactation consultants and specialists. It contains everything a nurse, lactation consultant, midwife, women’s health nurse practitioner, physician assistant, or Ob/Gyn needs to know about lactation care and science. Topics include placing breastfeeding in its historical context, workplace-related issues, anatomical and biological imperatives of lactation, the prenatal and perinatal periods and concerns during the postpartum period, the mother’s health, sociocultural issues, and more vital information.
With contributions from the foremost experts in the field, this leading resource contains a clear clinical focus with more than 2,000 research studies supporting the clinical recommendations found in the text. Furthermore, the updated Sixth Edition features new and additional case studies, expanded cultural content, inclusion of new regulations and guidelines, information on alternative medicine, and gender inclusive language.
Breastfeeding and Human Lactation, Sixth Edition is also an excellent resource to prepare for certification and practice as an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant® (IBCLC®). The Navigate 2 TestPrep access code included with every new print copy unlocks access to practice and simulated tests, detailed rationales, and powerful data dashboards. is also available.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Section 1 Historical and Work Perspectives
- Chapter 1 The International Board Certified Lactation Consultant® (IBCLC®) and the Healthcare Team
- Chapter 2 Breastfeeding and Lactation: Roots and Wings
- Section 2 Anatomic and Biological Imperatives
- Chapter 3 Anatomy and Physiology of Lactation
- Chapter 4 The Composition and Specificity of Breastmilk
- Chapter 5 Drug Therapy and Breastfeeding
- Chapter 6 Viral Infections and Breastfeeding
- Section 3 Prenatal, Perinatal, and Postnatal Periods
- Chapter 7 Perinatal and Intrapartum Care
- Chapter 8 Newborn Assessment
- Chapter 9 Postpartum Care
- Chapter 10 Breast-related Problems
- Chapter 11 Low Intake in the Breastfed Infant: Maternal and Infant Considerations
- Chapter 12 Jaundice and the Breastfed Baby
- Chapter 13 Breast Pumps and Other Technologies
- Chapter 14 The Use of Human Milk and Breastfeeding in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Chapter 15 Donor Milk Banking
- Section 4 Beyond Postpartum
- Chapter 16 Maternal Nutrition and Breastfeeding
- Chapter 17 Women’s Health and Breastfeeding
- Chapter 18 Maternal Employment and Breastfeeding
- Chapter 19 Child Health
- Chapter 20 The Ill Child: Breastfeeding Implications
- Section 5 Sociocultural and Research Issues
- Chapter 21 Research, Theory, and Lactation
- Chapter 22 Breastfeeding Education
- Chapter 23 The Cultural Context of Breastfeeding
- Chapter 24 The Familial and Social Context of Breastfeeding
Become a Class VIP!
Sign up to hear about new products, promotions and more! Plus, enjoy a 25% discount and free P&P each month!