Academic book request
Practical Applications in Sports NutritionAuthors: Heather Hedrick Fink, Alan E. Mikesky
Practical Applications in Sports Nutrition, Seventh Edition provides students with the latest sports nutrition information and dietary practices enabling them to assist athletes and fitness enthusiasts in achieving their personal performance goals. Drawing from the latest data and statistics from nutrition research and guidelines, the authors demonstrate effective ways to communicate sports nutrition messages to athletes and outline how to motivate individuals to make permanent behavior change.
Early chapters introduce sports nutrition and give a thorough explanation of macronutrients, micronutrients, and water, and their relation to athletic performance, while later chapters focus on the practical and applied aspects of sports nutrition including behavior change through consultations and weight management. Updated throughout, the Seventh Edition includes new or expanded discussion of sports nutrition organizations; working as an interdisciplinary team; ketogenic diets; third party testing of dietary supplements; Relative Energy Deficiency in Sport (RED-S); and offers new research on fiber, gut microbiome; and athletic performance.
- You are the Nutrition Coach case studies at the beginning of each chapter provide context to chapter material.
- Box features such as Fortifying Your Nutritional Knowledge; Gaining the Performance Edge; Training Tables expand on chapter contents with coverage of timely topics, insightful tips, and meal planning and food guidance.
- The Box Score concludes each chapter with Key Points and Study Questions
- 15 Interactive online case-study digital modules, included in the Navigate Premier Access, focus on topics such as weight gain and weight loss, pre-event fueling, post-event recovery, diabetes, and orthorexia.
- Premier Access also includes numerous learning tools and study aids including a full eBook, animations, workbook exercises in writable PDF format, and six helpful appendices, including:
- Appendix B The Gastrointestinal Tract
- Appendix C Major Metabolic Pathways
- Appendix D Calculations and Conversions
- Appendix E Growth and Body Mass Index Charts
- Appendix F Dietary Reference Intakes
- Appendix G Training Tables
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Section 1 The Basics of Sports Nutrition
- Chapter 1 Introduction to Sports Nutrition
- Chapter 2 Nutrients: Ingestion to Energy Metabolism
- Chapter 3 Carbohydrates
- Chapter 4 Fats
- Chapter 5 Proteins
- Chapter 6 Vitamins
- Chapter 7 Minerals
- Chapter 8 Water
- Chapter 9 Nutritional Ergogenics
- Section 2 The Practical Application of Sports Nutrition
- Chapter 10 Nutrition Consultation with Athletes
- Chapter 11 Weight Management
- Chapter 12 Endurance and Ultra-Endurance Athletes
- Chapter 13 Strength/Power Athletes
- Chapter 14 Team Sport Athletes
- Chapter 15 Special Considerations in Sports Nutrition
- Appendix A You Are the Nutrition Coach-Answers
Become a Class VIP!
Sign up to hear about new products, promotions and more! Plus, enjoy a 25% discount and free P&P each month!