Academic book request
In order to decide if a book might be suitable for your course we know that you need to look at it in detail.
If you are an academic teaching a course of 12 or more students you can choose up to three complimentary inspection copies of textbooks that are applicable to the courses that you teach.
To request your inspection copies, please complete the form below.
Neuroscience: Exploring the Brain, Enhanced EditionAuthors: Mark Bear, Barry Connors, Michael A. Paradiso
Acclaimed for its clear, friendly style, excellent illustrations, leading author team, and compelling theme of exploration, Neuroscience: Exploring the Brain, Fourth Edition takes a fresh, contemporary approach to the study of neuroscience, emphasizing the biological basis of behavior. The authors’ passion for the dynamic field of neuroscience is evident on every page, engaging students and helping them master the material.
In just a few years, the field of neuroscience has been transformed by exciting new technologies and an explosion of knowledge about the brain. The human genome has been sequenced, sophisticated new methods have been developed for genetic engineering, and new methods have been introduced to enable visualization and stimulation of specific types of nerve cells and connections in the brain. The Fourth Edition has been fully updated to reflect these and other rapid advances in the field, while honoring its commitment to be student-friendly with striking new illustrations, additional animations, and an unparalleled array of online resources.
Features and Benefits
- Path of Discovery boxes by leading experts in the field (including Nobel Prize winners) showcase actual research experiences, illuminating real-life paths to scientific discovery.
- Illustrations and animations make complex concepts easier to understand.
- A neuroanatomy atlas insert (Appendix to Chapter 7) provides large images that highlight the anatomy of the brain, along with a self-quiz that gives students an opportunity to check their understanding.
- Of Special Interest boxes provide interesting facts and topics that connect theory with real-life neuroscience applications.
- Brain food boxes provide additional information on key topics.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Part 1 Foundations
- Chapter 1 Neuroscience: Past, Present, and Future
- Chapter 2 Neurons and Glia
- Chapter 3 The Neuronal Membrane at Rest
- Chapter 4 The Action Potential
- Chapter 5 Synaptic Transmission
- Chapter 6 Neurotransmitter Systems
- Chapter 7 The Structure of the Nervous System
- Appendix An Illustrated Guide to Human Neuroanatomy
- Part 2 Sensory and Motor Systems
- Chapter 8 The Chemical Senses
- Chapter 9 The Eye
- Chapter 10 The Central Visual System
- Chapter 11 The Auditory and Vestibular Systems
- Chapter 12 The Somatic Sensory System
- Chapter 13 Spinal Control of Movement
- Chapter 14 Brain Control of Movement
- Part 3 The Brain and Behavior
- Chapter 15 Chemical Control of the Brain and Behavior
- Chapter 16 Motivation
- Chapter 17 Sex and the Brain
- Chapter 18 Brain Mechanisms of Emotion
- Chapter 19 Brain Rhythms and Sleep
- Chapter 20 Language
- Chapter 21 The Resting Brain, Attention, and Consciousness
- Chapter 22 Mental Illness
- Part 4 The Changing Brain
- Chapter 23 Wiring the Brain
- Chapter 24 Memory Systems
- Chapter 25 Molecular Mechanisms of Learning and Memory