Academic book request
Inspection copies are available to lecturers considering books for courses. If you teach a relevant course of 12 or more students, please complete the form below with the details. We also kindly request that you provide feedback on any textbook you receive within 60 days of receipt.
Please note that outside of the UK, we can only provide eBooks. All requests are subject to our approval, further details regarding T&Cs may be found on our website.
Massage and Manual Therapy for Orthopedic ConditionsAuthors:
This book introduces massage techniques for orthopedic conditions, promoting the alignment of soft tissue relating to pain and dysfunction. An essential manual for clinical massage therapy, it contains brief descriptions of rationale behind orthopedic massage, mechanisms of injury to and repair of soft tissue, and anatomy of each body area.
The Second Edition also includes detailed assessment for each body region, discusses common lesions, and provides illustrated instructions on how to administer this scientifically based style of massage. Based on traditional orthopedic assessment protocols, coverage includes range of motion, passive and isometric testing, and tests that determine the severity of a condition or injury.
Features and Benefits
- NEW: Full-color illustrations show a more specific step-by-step approach to treatments.
- NEW: Clinical Examples show how testing and therapy work in actual clinical situations and provide examples of ways to integrate the theory and techniques in the clinical setting.
- NEW: Information on the treatment protocol for acute and chronic injuries as well as the scientific rationale for choosing the appropriate technique for each stage of healing
- NEW: Video clips of techniques, strokes, and mobilization.
- Step-by-step procedures of assessment and treatment of the vast majority of soft tissue injuries
- Anatomy, function, dysfunction and injury, and treatment protocols are described for each region of the body
- Encyclopedic reference on the causes, signs, symptoms, and treatment of most soft tissue conditions
- Muscle tables with lists of muscles, origin, insertion, action, and dysfunction provide a quick reference on muscle structure and action
- Instructions on ergonomic positioning for the therapist when giving treatment
- Case studies present real life situations to enhance learning
- Review exercises help the reader recall information from within the chapter
- Caution sections serve as a warning for conditions that are contraindicated
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Section I Overview of Theory and Technique
- Chapter 1 The Theory and Science of Massage and Manual Therapy
- Chapter 2 Assessment and Technique
- Section II The Spine
- Chapter 3 Lumbosacral Spine
- Chapter 4 Thoracic Spine
- Chapter 5 Cervical Spine
- Section III The Upper Extremeties
- Chapter 6 The Shoulder
- Chapter 7 The Elbow, Forearm, Wrist, and Hand
- Section IV The Lower Extremeties
- Chapter 8 The Hip
- Chapter 9 The Knee
- Chapter 10 The Leg, Ankle, and Foot