Academic book request
In order to decide if a book might be suitable for your course we know that you need to look at it in detail.
If you are an academic teaching a course of 12 or more students you can choose up to three complimentary inspection copies of textbooks that are applicable to the courses that you teach.
To request your inspection copies, please complete the form below.
Concepts in Dental Public HealthAuthors:
Written specifically for dental hygienists, this comprehensive textbook covers concepts, issues, techniques, and methods related to dental public health. It focuses on the assessment of factors that affect oral health of populations and the development of policy in response to a population’s needs. It also provides information regarding the active promotion of oral health maintenance.
This text is unique in that it applies the Dental Hygiene Process of Care – a globally accepted, foundational concept in clinical care for dental hygienists – to the subject of dental public health, lending it greater relevance and familiarity to dental hygiene students. In addition, the text is based on the American Association of Dental Educators’ Competencies for Dental Hygienists. A chapter on National Board Preparation, including Board-style review questions, prepares students for the national exam. Review questions and learning activities are also incorporated into each chapter.
Features and Benefits
- NEW! Recurring puzzle motif at the beginning of each chapter indicates which steps in the Dental Public Health Program Development Cycle (which is based on the Dental Hygiene Process of Care model – Assessment, Diagnosis, Planning, Implementation, Evaluation, Documentation) are covered in the chapter and makes the concepts more relevant to students, all of whom should be familiar with the Process of Care.
- Fully updated to reflect current terminology and new developments in dental public health
- Increased reference to health literacy, new trends, and alternative providers and models for healthcare delivery
- Biostatistics chapter revised to simplify content and make it more understandable
- New appendix listing relevant American Association of Dental Educators’ Competencies for Dental Hygienists for each chapter–a unique feature among the competition. These were formerly at the beginning of each chapter but have been moved to an Appendix so they can be updated when ADEA revises the competencies in 2010.
- Review questions at the end of each chapter and board-style review questions in the last section of the book help prepare students for the national exam.
- Review questions and learning activities within each chapter provide ample material for in-class or individual review and study.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Module 1 Introduction to Dental Public Health
- Chapter 1 History and Principles of Dental Public Health
- Chapter 2 Trends in Dental Public Health
- Chapter 3 Global Perspectives in Oral Health Care
- Chapter 4 Professional Opportunities in Dental Public Health
- Module 2 Program Planning and Evaluation
- Chapter 5 Effective Community Programs
- Chapter 6 Planning for Community Programs
- Chapter 7 Program Evaluation
- Module 3 Health Promotion and Oral Health Education
- Chapter 8 Oral Health Promotion
- Chapter 9 Community Oral Health Education
- Chapter 10 Developing Educational Materials
- Module 4 Epidemiology and Research
- Chapter 11 Concepts in Epidemiology
- Chapter 12 Applying Epidemiology in Public Health Practice: Oral Health Surveillance
- Chapter 13 Oral Disease Patterns in the United States
- Chapter 14 Biostatistics
- Chapter 15 Scientific Communication
- Module 5 Ethics and the Law in Public Health Practice
- Chapter 16 Ethical Principles
- Chapter 17 Legal Principles
- Module 6 National Board Success
- Chapter 18 National Board Success