Academic book request
Inspection copies are available to lecturers considering books for courses. If you teach a relevant course of 12 or more students, please complete the form below with the details. We also kindly request that you provide feedback on any textbook you receive within 60 days of receipt.
Please note that outside of the UK, we can only provide eBooks. All requests are subject to our approval, further details regarding T&Cs may be found on our website.
Theoretical Foundations of Health Education and Health PromotionAuthor: Manoj Sharma
A SHAPE America Endorsed Title!
Abstract concepts and behavioral and social theories used in health education and promotion can be challenging for students to learn and comprehend. Theoretical Foundations of Health Education and Health Promotion, Fourth Edition provides a simple, pragmatic, easy-to-apply exposition to behavioral and social theories used in health education, health promotion, and public health.
The Fourth Edition introduces students to common theories from behavioral and social sciences that are currently being used in health education and promotion. Each discussion of theory is accompanied by a practical skill-building activity in the context of planning and evaluation, along with a set of application questions that will assist the student in mastering the application of the theory.
Theoretical Foundations of Health Education and Health Promotion is written to address the core competencies for health education specialists outlined by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing (NCHEC) and provides a useful review for those preparing for the certification exam at both the CHES and MCHES levels.
- NEW! Each chapter has a Case Study, including Questions for Discussion, for use in the classroom, for self-reflection, or for online class discussion forums. Additional bonus Case Studies can be found within the Navigate Advantage course.
- Includes new and more diverse applications and activities within each theory to make the topics more engaging for health education specialists, public health professionals, nursing educators, dietitians, nutrition educators, health coaches, and other health professionals involved in health education and health promotion.
- NEW! Chapter 1 includes a new section on the evolution of theories in health promotion.
- NEW! Chapter 2 includes a new section on the behavior change wheel (BCW) model. Discussions of the social ecological model, CDCynergy, and the intervention mapping model have also been expanded and updated.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Chapter 1 Introduction to Health Education, Health Promotion, and Theory
- Chapter 2 Planning Models in Health Education and Health Promotion
- Chapter 3 The Health Belief Model
- Chapter 4 The Transtheoretical Model
- Chapter 5 Theory of Reasoned Action and Theory of Planned Behavior
- Chapter 6 Theories of Stress and Coping
- Chapter 7 Social Cognitive Theory
- Chapter 8 Social Marketing
- Chapter 9 Diffusion of Innovations
- Chapter 10 Freire’s Model of Adult Education
- Chapter 11 Newer Theories in Health Education and Health Promotion