Academic book request
Inspection copies are available to lecturers considering books for courses. If you teach a relevant course of 12 or more students, please complete the form below with the details. We also kindly request that you provide feedback on any textbook you receive within 60 days of receipt.
Please note that outside of the UK, we can only provide eBooks. All requests are subject to our approval, further details regarding T&Cs may be found on our website.
Foundations of KinesiologyAuthors: Kim Henige, Belinda Stillwell
Each new print copy includes Navigate Advantage Access that unlocks a comprehensive and interactive eBook, student practice activities and assessments, a full suite of instructor resources, and learning analytics reporting tools.
Foundations of Kinesiology, Second Edition provides a guided introduction to the discipline and professions of kinesiology using a holistic, learner-centered, and skill-based approach. Thoroughly revised and updated, it explores the core subdisciplines of kinesiology and allows students to explore the research and physical activity contributions that each has to offer.
The learner-centered approach stresses the importance of active engagement and social interaction in the students’ own construction of knowledge, fostering long-term retention of the content, increased motivation, and higher achievement. In using Foundations of Kinesiology, Second Edition, students will have the opportunity to develop the skills necessary to achieve their personal and professional goals while becoming advocates for meaningful physical activity and lifelong learning.
- NEW CHAPTERS – Includes three new chapters, Dance and Kinesiology, History of Sport and Physical Activity, and Have Degree and Passport: Kinesiology Goes Global
- Includes updated and more in-depth coverage of important topics like climate change effects, intersectionality, the critique of structural power, Challenge Point Frameworks, and basic mechanical principles
- Includes the ACSM pre-participation health screening guidelines and revised medical clearance criteria
- Real-life scenarios are highlighted in Part III, Integration of the Pillars, showing the importance of kinesiology to a healthy, joyful life for diverse populations.
- Stop and Think boxes and Discussion Questions assess learners understanding of key concepts.
DYNAMIC TECHNOLOGY SOLUTION
Includes Navigate Advantage Access with interactive eBook with quizzes and knowledge checks, student practice activities, flashcards, learning analytics reporting tools, and more!
Instructor Resources include: LMS-compatible test bank, slides in PowerPoint format (traditional and learner-centered), Instructors manual, assessment quizzes, midterm, final exam, and sample syllabus.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Part I Kinesiology: Its Fundamentals and Paradoxes
- Chapter 1 Foundations and Pathways to the Pillars
- Chapter 2 A History of Kinesiology
- Part II Pillars of the Discipline: Kinesiology Subdisciplines
- Chapter 3 Adapted Physical Activity
- Chapter 4 Biomechanics
- Chapter 5 Dance
- Chapter 6 Exercise and Sport Physiology
- Chapter 7 Exercise and Sport Psychology
- Chapter 8 History of Sport and Physical Activity
- Chapter 9 Motor Behavior
- Chapter 10 Philosophy of Kinesiology
- Chapter 11 Sociology of Sport, Exercise, and Physical Activity
- Chapter 12 Sport Management
- Chapter 13 Sport Pedagogy and Physical Activity
- Chapter 14 Applying the Learner-Centered Approach to Research
- Chapter 15 Diversity: Sport as Welcoming Space
- Part III Integration of the Pillars
- Chapter 16 Healthy Living
- Chapter 17 Inclusive Physical Education for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Chapter 18 Promoting Excellence
- Chapter 19 Ironman 2
- Part IV Looking to the Future
- Chapter 20 Kinesiology and the Public’s Health: Collaboration Imperatives
- Chapter 21 Have Degree and Passport: Kinesiology Goes Global
- Appendix Epilogue
- Appendix Glossary
- Appendix Index