Academic book request
Inspection copies are available to lecturers considering books for courses. If you teach a relevant course of 12 or more students, please complete the form below with the details. We also kindly request that you provide feedback on any textbook you receive within 60 days of receipt.
Please note that outside of the UK, we can only provide eBooks. All requests are subject to our approval, further details regarding T&Cs may be found on our website.
Visualizing Health Care Statistics: A Data-Mining ApproachAuthor/s: Zada T. Wicker, Dr J. Burton Browning
Visualizing Health Care Statistics: A Data-Mining Approach is an engaging, introduction to health care statistics that demonstrates how to visualize health care statistics by using Microsoft Excel and R-Project (open source statistical software) along with hands-on examples using real-world data. In each chapter, readers are encouraged to apply statistical knowledge to real-world health care situations. Through this approach, the reader develops data gathering and analysis skills, while learning how to report and present the data in an impactful way.
Features and Benefits
- A breadth of real-world, current health data, including global examples to put health care into a worldwide context.
- An introduction to the modern computer software that readers will use in their careers to apply statistics, including Excel and open-source R-Project.
- A data-mining approach helps readers understand how big data can be used systematically to increase health care quality and safety while cutting costs.
- Data visualization in each chapter to highlight the importance of reporting data to end-users in a meaningful way.
- Alignment with new CAHIIM standards, and notes those standards throughout the text.
- An ideal resource for preparing for the Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) exam.
- Helpful appendices including common abbreviations used in statistics, formulas for health care statistics, resources for further information, CAHIIM competency exercises, and more.
- Each new print copy includes Navigate 2 eBook Access to read your digital textbook online or offline, on computers, tablets, and mobile devices.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Chapter 1 Introduction to Health Care Statistics
- Chapter 2 Central Tendency, Variance, and Variability
- Chapter 3 Patient Data
- Chapter 4 Occupancy and Utilization Data
- Chapter 5 Morbidity and Mortality Data
- Chapter 6 Autopsy Data
- Chapter 7 Infection, Consultation, and Other Data
- Chapter 8 Health Information Management Statistics
- Chapter 9 Research Methodology and Ethics
- Chapter 10 Data Collection and Reporting Methods
- Chapter 11 The Future of Health Care Statistics
- Appendix A Common Abbreviations Used in Statistics
- Appendix B Resources for Further Information
- Appendix C Historical Abuse of Human Research Subjects
- Appendix D Formulas for Health Care Statistics
- Appendix E CAHIIM© competency exercises