Academic book request
Umiker’s Management Skills for the New Health Care SupervisorAuthor/s: Rachel Ellison
Written for those who have little or no management training, Umiker’s Management Skills for the New Health Care Supervisor comprehensively covers what the new health care manager will need to know to be successful in their career. Through real world cases studies, readers gain insight into a supervisor’s day-to-day interactions with patients, colleagues, outside stakeholders, and their employees.
Updated throughout to cover the many ongoing challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic on healthcare supervisors and managers, the new Eighth Edition offers an all-new chapter on ethics in the workplace; new materials on the aging workforce and women in health care; virtual meeting, remote jobs, and working from home; different types of mentorships, the increase in importance of value-based care, sexual harassment and the #METOO movement; and much more.
- New chapter on Ethics in the Workplace help students understand ethical vs. unethical behavior and determine how supervisors can enforce ethical behavior.
- Coverage throughout of the COVID-19 pandemic and its many challenges to supervisors, management, patients, stakeholders, and more.
- Case studies and discussion questions in every chapter engage readers and encourage critical thinking skills.
- All new faculty resources include PowerPoint slides, answers to discussion questions, chapter quizzes, and more.
- Navigate eBook (available stand alone or with the printed text) includes the digital text enhanced with chapter quizzes and more.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Part 1 Fundamentals for the Supervisor
- Chapter 1 Do You Really Want to be a Supervisor?
- Chapter 2 Customer Service
- Chapter 3 Basic Management Functions
- Chapter 4 Reengineering, Mergers, and the Supervisor
- Chapter 5 Position Descriptions and Performance Standards
- Chapter 6 Policies and Policy Making
- Chapter 7 The Supervisor’s Legal Environment
- Chapter 8 Employee Recruitment
- Chapter 9 Interviewing and Employee Selection
- Chapter 10 Orientation and Training of New Employees
- Chapter 11 Team Leadership
- Chapter 12 Safety And Workplace Violence
- Part 2 Leading People
- Chapter 13 Leaders And Managers
- Chapter 14 Coaching and Counseling
- Chapter 15 Motivation, Reward, And Recognition
- Chapter 16 Performance Feedback
- Chapter 17 Disciplining: Correction of Behavior
- Chapter 18 Cultural Diversity: Managing the Changing Workforce
- Chapter 19 Conflict And Confrontation
- Chapter 20 Employees With Problems
- Chapter 21 Ethics in the Workplace
- Chapter 22 Managing Difficult Employees
- Chapter 23 Complaints, Grievances, And Appeals
- Chapter 24 Employee Retention
- Chapter 25 Privacy and Confidentiality: Employees and Customers
- Part 3 Healthcare Cost Control
- Chapter 26 Managed Care
- Chapter 27 Budgets And Cost Control
- Part 4 Developing Employees
- Chapter 28 Staff Development
- Chapter 29 Change As A Way Of Life
- Chapter 30 Delegation And Empowerment
- Part 5 Special Supervisory Skills
- Chapter 31 Spoken Communication
- Chapter 32 Written Communication
- Chapter 33 Holding Effective Meetings
- Chapter 34 Decision Making and Problem Solving
- Chapter 35 Time Management
- Part 6 The Supervisor’s Continuing Development
- Chapter 36 Coping With Stress and Burnout
- Chapter 37 The Supervisor’s Future
Become a Class VIP!
Sign up to hear about new products, promotions and more! Plus, enjoy a 25% discount and free P&P each month!