Academic book request
Inspection copies are available to lecturers considering books for courses. If you teach a relevant course of 12 or more students, please complete the form below with the details. We also kindly request that you provide feedback on any textbook you receive within 60 days of receipt.
Please note that outside of the UK, we can only provide eBooks. All requests are subject to our approval, further details regarding T&Cs may be found on our website.
Teaching Social and Emotional Learning in Physical EducationAuthors:
Every new print copy includes 365-day Navigate eBook access.
Teaching Social and Emotional Learning in Physical Education: Applications in School and Community Settings is the ideal resource for understanding and integrating social and emotional learning (SEL) competencies into the structure of a physical education program, alongside physical activity and skill development goals. This text should be incorporated as a key resource to guide physical education teacher education courses specifically focused on social and emotional learning while also providing supplemental readings for courses related to physical education curriculum, instruction, assessment, and/or models-based practice. Similarly, practicing physical education teachers who are interested in developing a stronger focus on SEL in their teaching will find that the book provides a comprehensive resource to guide their professional learning and practice.
Features and Benefits:
- Tailored to physical education as well as other physical activity and sport settings. This one-of-a-kind of text is a comprehensive resource that links SEL directly to physically active learning settings.
- Connected to broader educational movements and theories. The information shared in this text be connected to broader theories of learning, established teaching styles, curricular value orientations, etc.
- Bridging research and practice. The approaches shared in this text have been developed in practice by teachers and tested by researchers. The practical teaching strategies and activities provided through out are supported by the academic literature.
- Ancillary resources for higher education faculty. Includes critical thinking questions at the end of each chapter, practical resources such as handouts and lesson plans, as well as Powerpoint presentations for each chapter. All of these materials will be useful to faculty who adopt this text and integrate it into their classes.
- Timely and culturally responsive. This text directly addresses issues of equity, diversity, and social justice. Multiple case examples are provided to demonstrate programs and practices that have been effective in this regard.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Section 1 Introduction to Social and Emotional Learning in Physical Education
- Chapter 1 Social and Emotional Learning in the American Educational System
- Chapter 2 Connecting Social and Emotional Learning to the Physical Education Curriculum
- Chapter 3 Teaching Practices that Align with Social and Emotional Learning
- Chapter 4 Assessment Strategies that Align with Social and Emotional Learning
- Section 2 Pedagogical Models Aligned with Social and Emotional Learning in PE
- Chapter 5 Connecting Skill Themes and Social Emotional Learning in Elementary Physical Education
- Chapter 6 Adventure-Based Learning
- Chapter 7 Teaching Personal and Social Responsibility
- Chapter 8 Sport Education
- Chapter 9 Cooperative Learning
- Section 3 Social and Emotional Learning in Specialized Programs and Contexts
- Chapter 10 Social and Emotional Development through Preschool Education
- Chapter 11 Social and Emotional Learning and Adapted Physical Education
- Chapter 12 Integrating Social and Emotional Learning into Whole School Approaches
- Section 4 Case Examples of Social and Emotional Learning with Marginalized Communities
- Chapter 13 Sport-based Youth Development and its Relationship to the Social and Emotional Development of Youth
- Chapter 14 Social Justice and SEL: Case Examples of Promising Practices
- Chapter 15 Case Examples of Promising Practices in Outside of School Settings
- Section 5 Concluding Thoughts
- Chapter 16 Concluding Thoughts and Future Directions for Social and Emotional Learning in Physical Education