Academic book request
Inspection copies are available to lecturers considering books for courses. If you teach a relevant course of 12 or more students, please complete the form below with the details. We also kindly request that you provide feedback on any textbook you receive within 60 days of receipt.
Please note that outside of the UK, we can only provide eBooks. All requests are subject to our approval, further details regarding T&Cs may be found on our website.
Behavior Theory in Public Health Practice and ResearchAuthors:
Written by experienced behavioral scientists with substantial experience teaching public health students, Behavior Theory in Public Health Practice and Research, Second Edition offers a comprehensive study of health behavior theories that are the foundation of all health education and promotion programs. After presenting the rationale for behavioral science in public health practice, the text methodically describes each theory or set of related theories with ample examples and research that demonstrate how they are applied in public health practice.
Features and Benefits
- Timely and relevant examples of applications to practice and research, including the COVID-19 pandemic, HIV/AIDS, racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic disparities, and more.
- Guided study questions, quizzes, take-home points for public health professionals, and a robust digital package for students and instructors
- Exclusive focus on health behavior theory with recent and relevant examples and information
- A readable, engaging, and accessible exploration of health behavior theory written for a wide range of students
- Navigate eBook Access (included with each new print text) enables students to read their digital textbook online or offline, on computers, tablets, and mobile devices.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Section I Theory in Context
- Chapter 1 Health Behavior in the Context of Public Health
- Chapter 2 A Social Ecological Perspective
- Chapter 3 Theories of Motivation and Behavior: A Public Health Primer
- Section II Behavior Change Theories
- Chapter 4 Self-Regulation and Social Cognitive Theory
- Chapter 5 Self-Determination Theory & Motivational Interviewing
- Chapter 6 Social Influence Theory: The Effects of Social Factors on Health Behavior
- Chapter 7 Value Expectancy Theories
- Chapter 8 Stages of Change: The Transtheoretical Model
- Section III Communication and Messaging
- Chapter 9 Health Communication and Social Marketing
- Chapter 10 Diffusion of Innovations Theory
- Section IV Nothing So Practical as Theory
- Chapter 11 Applications of Theory to Public Health Practice
- Chapter 12 Why so Many Theories?