Academic book request
Foundations of Infectious Disease: A Public Health PerspectiveAuthor: David P Adams
Designed to introduce senior undergraduates and graduate students in public health and nursing to the study of infectious disease, Foundations of Infectious Disease: A Public Health Perspective places the study of infectious diseases squarely into its social, historical, and scientific context to demonstrate how it applies to the public and community health setting.
Beginning with an introductory chapter that surveys how infectious diseases have impacted human societies over the centuries, this broad descriptive text moves on to examine epidemiological concepts related to infectious disease, from outbreak and epidemic investigations, to study design infectious disease transmission and prevention. Subsequently, it delves into infectious disease topics of concern to today’s public and community health professionals: sexually transmitted infections, foodborne infections, healthcare-acquired infections, and neglected tropical diseases. A final chapter looks at future trends in the field of infectious diseases.
Features and Benefits
- Each chapter provides discussions of the biology, transmission, clinical aspects, epidemiology, and prevention of specific diseases
- Numerous text boxes, tables, full-colour illustrations and real-world case studies of infectious disease investigations help clarify concepts and engage students.
- Highlights of national and global research related to specific pathogens and the infectious diseases they cause are included in each chapter along with links to extensive references.
- Learning objectives, key terms, and review questions provide guidance and reinforcement of concepts presented.
- Each new print copy includes Navigate 2 eBook Access enabling you to read your digital textbook online or offline, on computers, tablets, and mobile devices.
- New bonus chapter – COVID-19: A Global Pandemic – now included in the eBook.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1 Historical Perspectives
Chapter 2 Basics of Infectious Disease Epidemiology
Chapter 3 Study Designs
Chapter 4 Infectious Disease Prevention
Chapter 5 Investigating Disease Outbreaks
Chapter 6 The Immune System and Infectious Disease
Chapter 7 Prion Infections
Chapter 8 Viral Infections
Chapter 9 HIV/AIDS
Chapter 10 Bacterial Infections
Chapter 11 Parasitic Infections
Chapter 12 Foodborne Infections
Chapter 13 Sexually Transmitted Infections
Chapter 14 Healthcare-Acquired Infections
Chapter 15 Neglected Tropical Diseases
Chapter 16 Future Trends
Become a Class VIP!
Sign up to hear about new products, promotions and more! Plus, enjoy a 25% discount and free P&P each month!