Academic book request
Foundations of Rural Public Health in AmericaAuthor/s: Mark J. Minelli
Written by a multidisciplinary team of experienced scholars and practitioners, Foundations of Rural Public Health in America spans a wide variety of important issues affecting rural public health today, including consumer and family health, environmental and occupational health, mental health, substance abuse, disease prevention and control, rural health care delivery systems, and health disparities.
Divided into five sections, the book covers understanding rural communities; public health systems and policies for rural communities; health disparities in rural communities; health disparities among special populations; and advancing rural health; assessment, planning and intervention. In addition to the expertise provided by its wide-ranging contributors, this carefully crafted textbook is enhanced by learning objectives, key terms, student discussion questions, and more to actively engage students in the learning process.
Features and Benefits
- Several topics covered meet the required competencies for an MPH curriculum (e.g. community needs assessment, partnership or coalition development, social justice, etc.).
- Comprehensive coverage includes current issues in mental health, LGBTQ populations, COVID-19, commercial agribusiness, adolescent health, rural hospitals, and more.
- Hands-on classroom activities for students and discussion questions provides opportunities for active learning.
- Instructor’s manual, test banks and additional discussion questions along with PowerPoint slides provide helpful resources for course planning and preparation.
- Each new print copy includes Navigate eBook Access enabling you to read your digital textbook online or offline from your computer, tablet, or mobile device.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Part I Understanding Rural Communities
- Chapter 1 Defining Rurality
- Chapter 2 Determinants of Health in Rural Communities
- Chapter 3 Ethical Issues in Rural Communities
- Part II Public Health Systems and Policies for Rural Communities
- Chapter 4 History of the Development of Rural Health in the USA
- Chapter 5 Federal Rural Health Organizations
- Chapter 6 U.S. Rural Health Systems in Transition
- Part III Health Disparities in Rural Communities
- Chapter 7 Cardiovascular Diseases and Stroke
- Chapter 8 Obesity, Type 2 Diabetes, and Physical Activity
- Chapter 9 Nutrition, Food Desert, and Weight Status
- Chapter 10 Maternal and Child Health in Rural Areas
- Chapter 11 Oral Health in Rural Areas
- Chapter 12 Cancers in Rural Areas in the U.S
- Chapter 13 Environmental Health in Rural America
- Chapter 14 Occupational Health and Safety Considerations in Rural Agricultural Operations
- Chapter 15 Mental Health in Rural America
- Part IV Health Disparities Among Special Populations
- Chapter 16 Rural Public Health for Migrant Workers
- Chapter 17 Adolescent Health in Rural Areas
- Chapter 18 Aging Populations in Rural United States
- Chapter 19 Rural Public Health for the LGBTQ Community
- Part V Advancing Rural Health- Assessment, Planning, and Interventions
- Chapter 20 Community Needs and Asset Assessment
- Chapter 21 Program Planning Models and Theories
- Chapter 22 Rural Public Health Policy
- Chapter 23 Leadership
- Chapter 24 Services to Support Rural Health
Become a Class VIP!
Sign up to hear about new products, promotions and more! Plus, enjoy a 25% discount and free P&P each month!