Academic book request
Inspection copies are available to lecturers considering books for courses. If you teach a relevant course of 12 or more students, please complete the form below with the details. We also kindly request that you provide feedback on any textbook you receive within 60 days of receipt.
Please note that outside of the UK, we can only provide eBooks. All requests are subject to our approval, further details regarding T&Cs may be found on our website.
Principles and Applications of BiostatisticsAuthor: Ray M. Merrill
Principles and Applications of Biostatistics covers the primary concepts and methods that are required for a fundamental understanding of the use and interpretation of statistics for the biological and health sciences–from data presentation to multiple regression and analysis of variance.
With a focus clarity, brevity, and accuracy, this text provides understandable and focused explanation of statistical principles and applications along with practical examples and problems drawn from biological health and medical settings.
Features and Benefits
- Practical questions follow each problem to encourage students to consider why the problem likely exists, help formulate hypotheses, and then statistically assess those hypotheses.
- Abundant assignment problems at the end of sections and each chapter cover a variety of application areas of biostatistics.
- Rationale boxes offer explanations of why certain methods are used for specific cases.
- Well-designed, attractive graphics that help make statistics easier to comprehend are used to present concepts, functions, and data.
- Applied focus encourages students to use computer applications (SPSS, R, or MS Excel) to demonstrate data analysis.
- Data analysis systems are used to obtain descriptive measures and basic plots (e.g. stem-and-leaf and box plots) for the purposes of exploratory data analysis.
- P-values in hypothesis testing and confidence intervals in descriptive and analytic assessment are discussed and included on many of the computer printouts.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Chapter 1 Introduction to Biostatistics
- Chapter 2 Descriptive Summaries of Data
- Chapter 3 Probability
- Chapter 4 Probability and Sampling Distributions
- Chapter 5 Estimation and Hypothesis Testing
- Chapter 6 Analysis of Variance
- Chapter 7 Measures of Association
- Chapter 8 Regression
- Chapter 9 Nonparametric Methods
- Chapter 10 Survey Research
- Appendix A Answers to Chapter Exercises
- Appendix B Tables
- Appendix C Formula Sheet
- Appendix D Detailed Formula Sheet