Epilepsy Answers at your FingertipsAuthors: Brian Chappell, Pamela Crawford
To be told that you have epilepsy can be a shocking and even traumatic experience. Faced with this news, most people are anxious to obtain all the facts and to learn as much about epilepsy as they possible can. This book is written especially for those people. It covers the obvious medical issues regarding the different types of epilepsy and the treatment available for each type. It also answers questions on important issues such as employment, drugs, pregnancy and contraception, and other people’s attitudes. The expert authors answer over 220 real questions from people with epilepsy – giving you the knowledge you need to lead an active and fulfilled life.
• Does everyone with epilepsy have the same type of seizure?
• Can your inherit epilepsy?
• Do all antiepileptic drugs have side effects?
• Do doctors disapprove of complementary medicines?
• I find it difficult to talk about my epilepsy to my partner, is there anyone else I can talk to?
• Does my employer need to know about my epilepsy?
• Does alcohol affect epilepsy, and if so, will I have to stop drinking completely?
• Will sex start my seizures up again?
• Will I be allowed to learn to drive?
• Will our travel insurance cover epilepsy?
• Are there any forms of sport or exercise I should avoid?
• Do epilepsy drugs cause impotence?
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. What is epilepsy?
2. Diagnosing epilepsy
4. Is it an emergency?
5. Feelings, families and friends
7. Practical concerns
8. Travel and holidays
9. Your social life
10. Relationships, sex and pregnancy