Multiple Sclerosis Answers at your FingertipsAuthors: Dr David Rog, Dr John Mottershead, Dr Paul Talbot, Megan Burgess
Multiple sclerosis is a complex and unpredictable neurological disease usually diagnosed in early adulthood. It can affect any part of the brain and spinal cord and the symptoms can vary widely in type and severity. For many people the most disabling aspect of MS is uncertainty about the future and the unpredictability of the symptoms. Accurate information is essential to help you understand this difficult condition and minimise its effect on your life.
Written by four experts, this comprehensive book answers 315 real questions asked by people with multiple sclerosis and their families. It covers the whole range of symptoms and treatments, and offers reliable and practical advice on living life with MS. "Authoritative and comprehensive, a valuable resource for all those affected by MS."… an extremely useful and comprehensive resource for the UK MS community.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. What is multiple sclerosis (MS)?
2. Types and course of MS
3. Genetic and environmental factors in MS
4. Diagnosis of MS
5. Symptoms of MS
7. Principles of management of MS
8. Conventional disease-modifying drugs used in MS
9. New disease-modifying treatments used in MS
11. complementary therapies and MS
12. Bladder and bowels
13. Pain, sensations, cramps and spasticity
14. Fatigue, cognition and mood
15. Mobility (including driving), balance and tremor
16. Speech problems, swallowing difficulties and diet
17. Problems with eyesight and hearing
18. Sexual function
19. Pregnancy and childbirth
20. Living with MS
21. You and your family
22. Other relationships