Academic book request
Inspection copies are available to lecturers considering books for courses. If you teach a relevant course of 12 or more students, please complete the form below with the details. We also kindly request that you provide feedback on any textbook you receive within 60 days of receipt.
Please note that outside of the UK, we can only provide eBooks. All requests are subject to our approval, further details regarding T&Cs may be found on our website.
Evidence-Based Practice for Nurses: Appraisal and Application of ResearchAuthor: Nola A. Schmidt
Evidence-Based Practice for Nurses: Appraisal and Application of Research, Fifth Edition is an essential resource for teaching students how to translate research into practice. The text is based on the five step IDP process (knowledge, persuasion, decision, implementation, and confirmation). The Fifth Edition has been revised to include content related to the evolution of nursing science, quality improvement projects and how they relate to evidence-based practice, as well as search strategies and authentic web content.
The hallmark feature of this text is its presentation of content. Each chapter is divided into ‘bites’ which make the chapters quick to read and easy to understand. To bring content to life, the authors have woven the “Apply What You’ve Learned” case study throughout each chapter to illustrate the importance of hand hygiene. Lastly, the Fifth Edition features a revision to the hierarchy of evidence which helps students identify the types of evidence that fit within each level as well as the tools necessary to appraise evidence.
Features and Benefits
- Separate chapters dedicated to evidence-based practice and nursing research
- Updated quantitative design examples
- Analysis of the four types of study validity threats
- Conducting evidence appraisal to determine strength and quality
- Recommended tools to appraise evidence quality
- New content focused on mixed methods
- In-depth examples of data collection
- Enhanced quality improvement and evidence-based practice projects
- Navigate Premier Access
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Unit I Introduction to Evidence-Based Practice
- Chapter 1 What Is Evidence-Based Practice?
- Chapter 2 What is Nursing Research?
- Chapter 3 Using Evidence Through Collaboration to Promote Excellence in Nursing Practice
- Unit 2 Acquisition of Knowledge
- Chapter 4 Identifying Research Questions
- Chapter 5 Finding Sources of Evidence
- Chapter 6 Linking Theory, Research, and Practice
- Unit 3 Persuasion
- Chapter 7 Key Concepts and Principles of Quantitative Designs
- Chapter 8 Quantitative Designs: Using Numbers to Provide Evidence
- Chapter 9 Epidemiologic Designs: Using Data to Understand Populations
- Chapter 10 Qualitative Designs: Using Words to Provide Evidence
- Chapter 11 Using Samples to Provide Evidence
- Chapter 12 Collecting Evidence
- Unit 4 Decision
- Chapter 13 What Do the Quantitative Data Mean?
- Chapter 14 What Do the Qualitative Data Mean?
- Chapter 15 Appraising Evidence to Determine Best Practice
- Unit 5 Implementation
- Chapter 16 Transitioning Evidence to Practice
- Chapter 17 Developing Oneself as an Innovator
- Unit 6 Confirmation
- Chapter 18 Evaluating Outcomes of Innovation
- Chapter 19 Sharing the Insights with Others