Academic book request
Nursing Informatics and the Foundation of KnowledgeAuthors: Dee McGonigle, Kathleen Mastrian
Nursing Informatics and the Foundation of Knowledge, Sixth Edition continues to help nursing students make sense of nursing informatics in an easy-to-follow approach. A practical guide for understanding how to efficiently use modern technology in today’s healthcare system, this award-winning nursing textbook teaches students how to acquire, process and disseminate knowledge. The authors use their unique Foundation of Knowledge Model throughout as an organizational structure by which to learn and teach nursing informatics. This comprehensive framework guides students through the basic building blocks of nursing informatics (nursing science, information science, computer science, cognitive science) before diving into current technologies, tools, and trends in nursing informatics.
The updated Sixth Edition provides nurse educators with the necessary tools to transfer the knowledge their students need to succeed in the information age. Rich learning features, including Case Studies, Working Wisdom, and Application Scenarios demonstrate how these technologies can be applied in practice, linking information and knowledge management within a real-world context.
Features and Benefits
- The unique Foundation of Knowledge Model provides a comprehensive overview of the building blocks of nursing informatics before introducing technology.
- Covers the most current technologies, tools, and trends in nursing informatics, such as immersive learner experiences (LX), the metaverse, artificial intelligence, machine learning, natural language processing, the impact of ChatGPT on nursing education, bioinformatics, computational biology, and more.
- Objectives, Key Terms, Research Briefs, Summaries, and Thought-Provoking Questions assist in comprehension.
- Every new print copy includes access to Navigate Premier with robust learning resources to support self-paced learning, including the interactive eBook with Quizzes and Knowledge Checks, Flashcards, and Unfolding Case Studies.
- Instructor resources include Slides in PowerPoint format, an Instructor’s Manual, Competency Mapping, a Sample Syllabus, and Test Bank.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Section I Building Blocks of Nursing Informatics
- Chapter 1 Nursing Science and Concepts of Knowledge
- Chapter 2 Introduction to Information, Information Science, and Information Systems
- Chapter 3 Computer Science and the Foundation of Knowledge Model
- Chapter 4 Introduction to Cognitive Science and Cognitive Informatics
- Chapter 5 Ethical Applications of Informatics
- Section II Perspectives on Nursing Informatics
- Chapter 6 History and Evolution of Nursing Informatics
- Chapter 7 Nursing Informatics as a Specialty
- Chapter 8 Legislative Aspects of Nursing Informatics: HIPAA, HITECH, and Beyond
- Section III Nursing Informatics Administrative Applications: Precare and Care Support
- Chapter 9 Systems Development Life Cycle: Nursing Informatics and Organizational Decision-Making
- Chapter 10 Administrative Information Systems
- Chapter 11 The Human-Technology Interface
- Chapter 12 Electronic Security
- Chapter 13 Achieving Excellence by Managing Workflow and Initiating Quality Projects
- Section IV Nursing Informatics Practice Applications: Care Delivery
- Chapter 14 The Electronic Health Record and Clinical Informatics
- Chapter 15 Informatics Tools to Promote Patient Safety, Quality Outcomes, and Interdisciplinary Collaboration
- Chapter 16 Patient Engagement and Connected Health
- Chapter 17 Using Informatics to Promote Community and Population Health
- Chapter 18 Telenursing and Remote Access Telehealth
- Section V Education Applications of Nursing Informatics
- Chapter 19 Nursing Informatics and Nursing Education
- Chapter 20 Simulation, Game Mechanics, Virtual Worlds, and Realities in Nursing Education
- Section VI Research Applications of Nursing Informatics
- Chapter 21 Nursing Research: Data Collection, Processing, and Analysis
- Chapter 22 Informatics Based Research Processes: Data Mining and Artificial Intelligence
- Chapter 23 Generating and Translating Evidence for Practice
- Section VII Imagining the Future of Nursing Informatics
- Chapter 24 The Art of Caring in Technology-Laden Environments
- Chapter 25 Our Expanding Realities and the Metaverse
Become a Class VIP!
Sign up to hear about new products, promotions and more! Plus, enjoy a 25% discount and free P&P each month!