Academic book request
Nurse Practitioner’s Business Practice and Legal GuideAuthor: Carolyn Buppert
A Must-Have Resource for New and Practicing Nurse Practitioners
Nurse Practitioner’s Business Practice and Legal Guide, Eighth Edition is a must-have resource for every new or current nurse practitioner (NP). Drawing from the author’s extensive experience as an NP followed by nearly 30 years as a practicing attorney focused on the many and varied legal issues affecting NPs, it is unlike any other text. This unique resource explains and analyzes the legal issues relevant to NPs in a straightforward and easy-to-read approach. The Eighth Edition discusses NP competencies, how the Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) degree relates to NPs, the differences in primary care and acute care NPs, definitions of medical bio-ethics terminology, malpractice cases and the lessons to learn from them, emerging issues in health policy, guidelines around prescribing opioids and controlled drugs, clinical performance measures, electronic health records, and other relevant and practical topics specific to NPs.
In how many states can NPs write prescriptions? What can an NP do if an insurance company refuses to pay the bill for a patient’s visit? What should be covered in an employment contract? What is involved, legally, when starting a private practice? How does an NP know when to consult a physician? Nurse Practitioner’s Business Practice and Legal Guide, Eighth Edition answers these questions and more, making it an indispensable resource for practicing NPs, students, those employing NPs, and attorneys representing NPs or the medical facilities in which NPs are employed.
Features and Benefits
- Offers vital legal and business information written in a straightforward and easy-to-read style
- Includes the latest state-by-state NP laws, including regulatory developments and prosecutions of NPs, and new case analyses and lessons learned from those cases
- Offers sample tools such as a business plan for independent practice, contractor and employer agreements, suggestions for promoting the NP profession, and documentation templates
- Instructor resources include Slides in PowerPoint format and Discussion Questions
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Chapter 1 What is a Nurse Practitioner?
- Chapter 2 Nurse Practitioner Scope of Practice
- Chapter 3 State Regulation of Nurse Practitioner Practice
- Chapter 4 Federal Regulation of the Nurse Practitioner Profession
- Chapter 5 Prescribing
- Chapter 6 Hospital Privileges
- Chapter 7 Negligence and Malpractice
- Chapter 8 Risk Management
- Chapter 9 Reimbursement for Nurse Practitioner Services
- Chapter 10 The Employed Nurse Practitioner
- Chapter 11 Practice Ownership: Legal and Business Considerations for the Nurse Practitioner Owner
- Chapter 12 Lawmaking and Health Policy
- Chapter 13 Promoting the Profession to the Public
- Chapter 14 Standards of Care for Nurse Practitioner Practice
- Chapter 15 Measuring Nurse Practitioner Performance
- Chapter 16 Resolving Ethical Dilemmas
- Chapter 17 Strategies for Nurse Practitioners
- Chapter 18 Frequently Asked Questions from Nurse Practitioners
Become a Class VIP!
Sign up to hear about new products, promotions and more! Plus, enjoy a 25% discount and free P&P each month!