Academic book request
Health Care Ethics and the LawAuthor: Donna K. Hammaker
Health Care Ethics and the Law is a comprehensive, practical resource designed for those preparing for a career in healthcare management.
In 16 chapters, the text explains and illustrates ethical principles and their application in the real world, including material that is consistently cited by the U.S. Supreme Court and the nation’s highest appellate courts. The book also explores substantive theories of classic ethicists in the Western world, along with current scholarly literature from the nation’s leading ethicists.
The authors seamlessly integrate ethical and legal concepts without overwhelming the reader with philosophies and theory. With an emphasis on interpretation, insight, and ideas, Health Care Ethics and the Law guides healthcare professionals through the ethical decisions they will face in their everyday professional lives.
Features and Benefits
- Presents over 170 ethical dilemmas that lets the reader decide the best course of action.
- Guides the reader through multiple ethical decision-making methods including: a framework of eight decision-making models, ten universal values, and eight principles in the American ethic
- Addresses the ethical and health law issues related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Explains current and future trends in health care ethics and the law.
- Examines actual court decisions recently decided by the U.S. Supreme Court and the nation’s highest appellate courts.
- Includes Navigate eBook access (with the printed text) providing readers with convenient online or offline access to the digital text and additional resources from their computer, tablet, or mobile device.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Part I THE ETHICS OF HEALTH CARE
- Chapter 1 The Ethics of Health Care
- Chapter 2 Moral Issues Confronting the U.S. Health Care System
- Part II THE ETHICS OF ACCESS TO HEALTH CARE
- Chapter 3 Access to Affordable Health Insurance
- Chapter 4 Patient Rights and Responsibilities
- Chapter 5 Charitable Care and Tax-Exempt Hospitals
- Part III THE ETHICAL DEVELOPMENT OF HUMAN CAPITAL
- Chapter 6 Employers’ Health Care Costs
- Chapter 7 Labor Relations
- Part IV IMPROVING THE QUALITY AND EQUALITY OF HEALTH CARE
- Chapter 8 Evidence-Based Medicine
- Chapter 9 Medical Malpractice
- Part V OUR HEALTH CARE SYSTEM’S ETHICAL RESPONSE TO VULNERABLE MEMBERS OF SOCIETY
- Chapter 10 Mental Health
- Chapter 11 Public Safety and Gun Injury Prevention
- Part VI PRESSING ISSUES FACING OUR HEALTH CARE SYSTEM
- Chapter 12 Reproductive Health
- Chapter 13 Food Insecurity
- Chapter 14 End-of-Life Care
- Part VII OUR FUTURE HEALTH CARE SYSTEM
- Chapter 15 COVID-19 Pandemic and Other Public Health Emergencies
- Chapter 16 Our Future: A New Kind of Health Care Ethics
Become a Class VIP!
Sign up to hear about new products, promotions and more! Plus, enjoy a 25% discount and free P&P each month!