Academic book request
In order to decide if a book might be suitable for your course we know that you need to look at it in detail.
If you are an academic teaching a course of 12 or more students you can choose up to three complimentary inspection copies of textbooks that are applicable to the courses that you teach.
To request your inspection copies, please complete the form below.
Mechanical VentilationAuthor: David C. Shelledy
Mechanical Ventilation is a comprehensive guide to the evaluation and management of critically ill patients requiring mechanical ventilatory support. This new text helps respiratory care students and clinicians alike bridge the gap between theory and practice as they strive to provide the very best care for patients.
Aimed at developing advanced practice and critical care respiratory therapists, the text covers key concepts, techniques, and procedures for providing safe and effective mechanical ventilation. Readers will learn to apply assessment skills to evaluate patients in impending or actual respiratory failure. After studying indications for mechanical ventilation, they will learn how to initiate mechanical ventilator support, adjust ventilation to keep patients stabilized, monitor patients over time, and discontinue ventilator support.
Features and Benefits
• A valuable resource to prepare for the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC) entry level and advanced respiratory care exams.
• Bridges the gap between theory and practice in the care of critically ill patients requiring mechanical ventilatory support.
• Focuses on interdisciplinary teams as they related to patient care and treatment
• Clinical Focus exercises serve as case studies to help readers refine their critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Navigate 2 Advantage Access includes a full eBook, student practice activities and assessments, instructor resources and grading analytics tools.
• Robust set of Slides in PowerPoint format for each chapter, including an extremely comprehensive synopsis of ventilator types containing over 1000 slides!
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1 Introduction to Critical Respiratory Care
Chapter 2 Respiratory Failure
Chapter 3 Principles of Mechanical Ventilation
Chapter 4 Mechanical Ventilators
Chapter 5 Indications for Mechanical Ventilation
Chapter 6 Ventilator Initiation
Chapter 7 Patient Stabilization: Adjusting Ventilator Support
Chapter 8 Critical Care Patient Assessment and Monitoring Part I: Assessment
Chapter 9 Critical Care Patient Assessment and Monitoring Part II: Monitoring and Care
Chapter 10 Non-Invasive Ventilation
Chapter 11 High Frequency Oscillatory Ventilation for Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome in Adults
Chapter 12 Diagnostic and Supportive Procedures in the ICU
Chapter 13 Point of Care Ultrasound in Critical Care
Chapter 14 Mechanical Ventilation During Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation
Chapter 15 Neonatal and Pediatric Critical Care
Chapter 16 Ventilator Discontinuance