100 Questions & Answers about Bone Marrow and Stem Cell TransplantationAuthors: Ewa Carrier, MD, MHS;, Gracy Ledingham
For people fighting many kinds of disease, bone marrow transplantation or stem cell transplantation may be the only realistic chance of a cure — but the procedure is complicated and frightening, with many long-term ramifications. How do you decide whether this method of treatment is for you? Along with your physician’s advice, let 100 Questions and Answers About Bone Marrow and Stem Cell Transplantation be your guide. It is the only book that offers the first-hand experiences of a patient and the perspective of a transplant doctor to provide you with authoritative, practical answers to your questions about treatment options, post-treatment quality of life, sources of support, and much more. This book is an invaluable resource for anyone considering a bone marrow or stem cell transplantation.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Part 1. The Basics
Questions 1-16 cover the background topics in bone marrow transplants, including:
• What is bone marrow? Why might someone need a bone marrow transplant?
• What is the difference between BMT and SCT?
• How long after the diagnosis should the transplant take place?
Part 2. Before the Transplant: Logistics and Work-Up
Questions 17-39 discuss all that comes before a transplant, including:
• How do I find a doctor who is right for me?
• What is involved in the pre-transplant evaluation?
• Am I going to go broke?
Part 3. Caring for Your Body and Mind
Questions 40-66 explore the emotional and physical challenges you may encounter while preparing for your BMT:
• How do I find the time to manage my treatment?
• What can I do to improve my chances of survival?
• Will I be different after my transplant?
Part 4. The BMT Procedure
Questions 67-85 discuss what happens during the transplant itself:
• What is the BMT conditioning regimen?
• What is total body irradiation (TBI)?
• What happens during the transplant procedure itself?
• What is engraftment, and when does it occur?
Part 5. Post Transplant
Questions 86-100 provide tips on caring for yourself after your discharge from the hospital:
• Will my contacts with other people be restricted after the transplant?
• Do I need to make any nutritional adjustments post transplant?
Appendix – A list of web sites, organizations, and literature to help bone marrow transplant patients and their families find additional resources on general and specific topics related to BMT.