Academic book request
Structural Firefighting: Strategy and TacticsAuthor/s: Bernard "Ben" J. Klaene, Thomas C. Lakamp
The fourth edition of Structural Firefighting: Strategy and Tactics meets and exceeds the course objectives and outcomes for the National Fire Academy’s Fire and Emergency Services Higher Education (FESHE) non-core course, Strategy and Tactics (C0279).
Structural Firefighting: Strategy and Tactics prepares the fire officer to take command at structure fires, effectively using available resources. The goal of this text is to explain how to apply proven tactics and strategies used at structure fires. It is designed to be used by all fire officers, from company officer to the chief of the department.
The Fourth Edition provides the necessary tools to achieve maximum productivity under adverse fireground conditions. It references National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) fire investigations, applicable NFPA statistics and standards, the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Firefighter Fatality Investigation and Prevention Program, and the Technical Report Series from the U.S. Fire Administration. It has been expanded to include information from recent studies by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Underwriters Laboratories (UL), and others.
The Fourth Edition features new content on integration of initial rapid intervention crews and updated content on vent-enter-isolate-search tactics, while continuing to emphasize the role of preincident planning and command decisions that maximize life safety, extinguishment, and property conservation. A multitude of case studies, incident summaries, and extensive end-of-chapter activities promote the application of chapter content and critical-thinking skills.
This text allows a company officer or incident commander to learn fireground procedures at an accelerated pace, thus reducing the cost in lives and property associated with learning by experience only.
The Fourth Edition also includes:
- Significantly expanded, in-depth Suggested Activities that challenge the reader to apply the strategies and tactics presented in each chapter
- Incident Summaries that recap real fireground events and the lessons learned
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Chapter 1 Organizing, Coordinating, and Commanding Emergency Incidents
- Chapter 2 Procedures, Preincident Planning, and Size-Up
- Chapter 3 Developing an Incident Action Plan
- Chapter 4 Company Operations
- Chapter 5 Fire Fighter Safety
- Chapter 6 Life Safety
- Chapter 7 Fire Protection Systems
- Chapter 8 Offensive Operations
- Chapter 9 Defensive Operations
- Chapter 10 Property Conservation
- Chapter 11 The Role of Occupancy
- Chapter 12 High-Rise Buildings
- Appendix A SOP for Structure Fires-Example
- Appendix B FESHE Correlation Guide for Strategy and Tactics (C0279)
Become a Class VIP!
Sign up to hear about new products, promotions and more! Plus, enjoy a 25% discount and free P&P each month!