Academic book request
Engine Company Fireground OperationsAuthor: National Fire Protection Association
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and Jones & Bartlett Learning are pleased to bring you the fourth edition of Engine Company Fireground Operations. This expanded edition incorporates the latest recommendations from UL and the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) into every aspect of fire attack and ventilation and presents an extensive study of engine company fire ground operations.
This new edition is an ideal resource for fire service personnel preparing for promotion or studying for a civil service examination.
Firefighters and company officers will gain knowledge in fire science, building construction, and the effects of burning modern fuels that result in extreme fire behaviour.
Specific features include:
- Detailed illustrations that show the tactics and approaches described in each chapter
- Case studies of strategies and tactics that resulted in firefighter line of duty deaths, as well as those that were successful, incorporated into the recommended practices of engine company fire attack, rescue, and ventilation
- Detailed information on size-up that applies risk management principles to the Value-Time-Size method, which considers survivability profiling and threshold limits, identifying problems, selecting strategies and tactics, developing a quick incident action plan, and applying a functional accountability system for safety
- A significant emphasis on attacking residential and commercial basement fires
- A one-of-its-kind chapter on fireground operations and responsibilities for company level high-rise firefighting, with special attention paid to fire behavior within high-rise buildings
- In-depth coverage of all the basic engine company responsibilities, including:
- Initial hose lays and water supplies
- The deployment of attack, back-up, and exposure hose lines
- Rapid intervention teams
- Search and rescue
- Master streams
- Fire protection systems
- Standpipe operations
- Salvage and overhaul
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Chapter 1 Introduction and Overview
- Chapter 2 Fire Dynamics
- Chapter 3 Building Construction
- Chapter 4 An Analysis of the UL/NIST Experiments
- Chapter 5 Equipment and Initial Hose-Lay Operations
- Chapter 6 Apparatus Positioning
- Chapter 7 Water Supply
- Chapter 8 Initial Size-Up and Developing a Quick Incident Action Plan
- Chapter 9 Search and Rescue
- Chapter 10 Initial Fire Attack and Ventilation
- Chapter 11 Backup Lines
- Chapter 12 Exposure Protection
- Chapter 13 Master Stream Appliances
- Chapter 14 Fire Protection Systems
- Chapter 15 High-Rise Firefighting
- Chapter 16 Salvage and Overhaul
Become a Class VIP!
Sign up to hear about new products, promotions and more! Plus, enjoy a 25% discount and free P&P each month!