SPOT: The Safer Prescription of Opioids ToolAuthors: SPOT Editorial Board, Dr Roger Flint
The Safer Prescription Opioids Tool is a quality assured and CE marked digital solution allowing clinicians to check medicines dosages to alleviate pain for the sickest patients. SPOT is available 24/7 and is a uniquely safe method of supporting prescribers when performing opioid conversions.
The Safer Prescription of Opioids Tool (SPOT) is the only CE marked, clinically validated equianalgesic opioid converter in clinical practice that enables clinicians to independently and remotely double check their conversions safely, quickly and conveniently at the patient’s bedside. SPOT reduces and mitigates risk, preventing conversion errors that could lead to serious patient harm. It supports clinicians in challenging situations, providing reassurance about complex calculations and saving the time taken to call a colleague for a second check. SPOT is an invaluable tool for doctors, palliative care consultants, GPs, non-medical prescribers, nurse prescribers and pharmacists in both hospital and community settings.
Currently deployed across NHS Borders, serving over 110,000 patients and clinicians, SPOT is assessed against the NHS Scotland Quality Assurance Framework for Medical Device Apps, based upon the Scottish Palliative Guidelines, and proven to improve adherence to guidelines and confidence in prescribers.
Using sophisticated algorithms, SPOT is able to simultaneously harness information that can help the development of guidelines for pain management and also monitor performance to ensure safe and effective treatment of pain.
Contact us for a free trial of the SPOT app now.
- Supports patients with pain management at the end of life
- Reduces risk, unwarranted variation and primary and secondary harms when prescribing opioids
- Access up to date prescribing information and calculate drug dosages through your mobile device. Available on iOS, Android and as a website for desktop use
- Peer reviewed, evidence-based and quality assured. Research on SPOT has been published in the British Journal of General Practice and the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. The app benefits from an editorial advisory board. It is registered as a medical device with the MHRA
- Medicines listed on the app include codeine, dihydrocodeine, morphine, diamorphine, oxycodone, hydromorphone, alfentanil and fentanyl. Drugs formularies can be adapted according to the pharmacy of your local organisation
- Part of the Scottish Government’s COVID-19 palliative care toolkit
- Proven to significantly improve the confidence of opioid prescribing in users and adherence to best practice guidelines
SPOT aims to revolutionise the way that opioids are prescribed, supporting patients at the end of life, reducing error and cost to the NHS.
The Safer Prescription of Opioids Tool – SPOT – featured on the BBC Scotland Channel, The Nine
“I want to make sure that no other prescriber was in the position I was in seven years ago.
The app is safe, robust, smooth. Everyone who has had the opportunity to use it has been delighted.”Roger Flint, Founder and Doctor