Academic book request
An Introduction to Formal Languages and AutomataAuthor/s: Peter Linz and Susan H, Rodger
An Introduction to Formal Languages and Automata, Seventh Edition is designed for an introductory course on formal languages, automata, compatibility, and related matters forming what is known as the theory of computation. The text takes a problem-solving approach, in which students’ abilities are tested at various levels.
The Seventh Edition familiarises students with the foundations and principles of computer science, teaches material useful in subsequent courses, and strengthens students’ ability to carry out formal and rigorous mathematical arguments.
Features and Benefits
- New Introductory Exercises help to bridge concepts to more difficult exercises
- Chapters 1-14 of the sixth edition, with the new exercises, are now reorganized as Part I: Theory
- NEW – Three NEW chapters on parsing are included in a new section, Part 2: Applications, and focus on how to apply theory from previous chapters into the real world
- The accessible approach allows student to clearly understand key content while retaining the appropriate mathematical notations and theorems required for the course
- Central ideas are preceded by a motivating example, drawn from applications, that introduces the concept and illustrates its usefulness
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Part I THEORY
- Chapter 1 Introduction to the Theory of Computation
- Chapter 2 Finite Automata
- Chapter 3 Regular Languages and Regular Grammars
- Chapter 4 Properties of Regular Languages
- Chapter 5 Context-Free Languages
- Chapter 6 Simplification of Context-Free Grammars and Normal Forms
- Chapter 7 Pushdown Automata
- Chapter 8 Properties of Context-Free Languages
- Chapter 9 Turing Machines
- Chapter 10 Other Models of Turing Machines
- Chapter 11 A Hierarchy of Formal Languages and Automata
- Chapter 12 Limits of Algorithmic Computation
- Chapter 13 Other Models of Computation
- Chapter 14 An Overview of Computational Complexity
- Part II APPLICATIONS
- Chapter 15 Compilers and Parsing
- Chapter 16 LL Parsing
- Chapter 17 LR Parsing
Become a Class VIP!
Sign up to hear about new products, promotions and more! Plus, enjoy a 25% discount and free P&P each month!