Academic book request
Inspection copies are available to lecturers considering books for courses. If you teach a relevant course of 12 or more students, please complete the form below with the details. We also kindly request that you provide feedback on any textbook you receive within 60 days of receipt.
Please note that outside of the UK, we can only provide eBooks. All requests are subject to our approval, further details regarding T&Cs may be found on our website.
Public Budgeting SystemsAuthors: Robert D. Lee Jr., Ronald W. Johnson, Philip G. Joyce
Public Budgeting Systems, Tenth Edition is the most comprehensive and balanced treatment of the current state of budgeting throughout all levels of the United States government. Current and prospective public managers often succeed or fail in their careers based in large part on whether they are intelligent consumers of financial data and have an adequate understanding of the budget process. By providing a detailed overview of all budgeting and financial management, the book enables students to gain an appropriate understanding of a complex topic.
Features and Benefits
- Updated data, references and more timely examples throughout
- An expansive discussion of the COVID-19 recession, and a special appendix discussing the fiscal effects of the pandemic
- Up to date information on tax revenues, including the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, sales taxes on online purchases, cannabis sales, and legalization of sports betting in some states
- Significantly revised chapter on the Congressional budget process
- Recent developments in information technology security, including both security breaches and new cybersecurity protocols
- Each new print copy includes Navigate 2 eBook Access to read your digital textbook online or offline, on computers, tablets, and mobile devices.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Chapter 1 Introduction
- Chapter 2 The Public Sector in Perspective
- Chapter 3 Government, the Economy, and Economic Development
- Chapter 4 Budget Cycles
- Chapter 5 Budgeting for Revenues: Income Taxes, Payroll Taxes, and Property Taxes
- Chapter 6 Budgeting for Revenues: Transaction-Based Revenue Sources
- Chapter 7 Budget Preparation: The Expenditure Side
- Chapter 8 Budget Preparation: The Decision Process
- Chapter 9 Budget Approval: The Role of the Legislature
- Chapter 10 Budget Approval: The U.S. Congress
- Chapter 11 Budget Execution
- Chapter 12 Financial Management: Accounting, Reporting, and Auditing
- Chapter 13 Capital Assets: Planning and Budgeting, Analysis, and Management
- Chapter 14 Capital Finance and Debt Management
- Chapter 15 Intergovernmental Relations