Academic book request
Inspection copies are available to lecturers considering books for courses. If you teach a relevant course of 12 or more students, please complete the form below with the details. We also kindly request that you provide feedback on any textbook you receive within 60 days of receipt.
Please note that outside of the UK, we can only provide eBooks. All requests are subject to our approval, further details regarding T&Cs may be found on our website.
Legal Aspects of Corrections ManagementAuthor: Daryl Kosiak
Legal Aspects of Corrections Administration, Fourth Edition helps students evaluate how laws and court decisions drive the creation of correctional policies in America’s jails and prisons. The text provides long-term perspective by citing data that spans over 60 years to demonstrate how changes in the past may impact future changes to the operations of correctional facilities.
Through the use of case law, the Fourth Edition explains what the law says about specific areas of corrections operations and practices. It is a valuable resource for criminal justice students and a good reference for corrections professionals.
Features and Benefits
- Chapters include the latest Supreme Court cases through the 2019-2020 term.
- New sections address evolving issues such analysis of conditions of confinement in detention facilities (jails) after Kingsley v. Hendrickson in 2015.
- Chapter 16 on health care includes analysis of several recent federal appellate court decisions related to the COVID -19 Pandemic.
- New and updated Thinking About It cases studies promote discussion based on chapter objectives.
- Each new print copy includes Navigate 2 eBook Access.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Chapter 1 An Introduction to the Law and to the Legal Aspects of Corrections Management
- Chapter 2 Corrections and the Criminal Justice System
- Chapter 3 Habeas, Torts, and Section 1983
- Chapter 4 Going to Court
- Chapter 5 A General View of Prisoners’ Rights Under the Constitution
- Chapter 6 Access to Courts
- Chapter 7 First Amendment: Inmate Mail
- Chapter 8 First Amendment: Inmate Association Rights and Visiting
- Chapter 9 First Amendment: Religion
- Chapter 10 Fourth Amendment: Search and Seizure, and Privacy
- Chapter 11 Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments: Due Process-Inmate Discipline
- Chapter 12 Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments: Due Process-Classification, Transfers, Personal Injuries, and Property Loss
- Chapter 13 Fourteenth Amendment: Equal Protection-Female Offenders and Others
- Chapter 14 Eighth Amendment: The Death Penalty and Other Sentencing Issues
- Chapter 15 Eighth Amendment: Conditions of Confinement-Cruel and Unusual Punishment
- Chapter 16 Eighth Amendment: Health Care
- Chapter 17 Probation and Parole, Community Corrections, and Fines
- Chapter 18 Statutory and Administrative Law
- Chapter 19 Federal Statutes: Equal Employment, Disabilities, and Tort Claims
- Chapter 20 Jails
- Chapter 21 Juveniles and Young Offenders
- Chapter 22 Privatization Issues in Corrections
- Chapter 23 Loss of Rights of Convicted Persons
- Chapter 24 In Conclusion: A Postscript